Sand Fleas | Mole Crabs | Sand Crabs | Gulp! Bait

Sand Fleas, Squid, Gulp, Cut Bait, Chum, Mullet, Fiddler Crabs, Fish Bites, basically whatever works

Topic author
Dozer

Jettie Jumper

Sand Fleas | Mole Crabs | Sand Crabs | Gulp! Bait

Postby Dozer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:03 pm

I know there are no sand fleas on Tybee due to the beach renourishment, but are there any on the protected/uninhabited islands? I want to go camping and surf fishing next month and I'm just wondering how many bags of Berkley's® Saltwater Gulp!® Sand Crab/Fleas bait I should bring with me for the week or should I bring my small sand flea rake. Much appreciated.

jsfiddler

DeckBoss
Boats: 17 ft center console

Sand Fleas (Mole Crabs or Sand Crabs) Prime Surf Fishing Bait

Postby jsfiddler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Dozer wrote:I know there are no sand fleas on Tybee (Island) due to the beach re-nourishment, but are there any on the protected/uninhabited islands?

Dozer, now you got me wondering. I have been out there many times but I don't ever remember specifically looking for sand crab/fleas! Now I want to go out and do a coastal mole crab survey of my own. It would seem logical that un-touched Georgia barrier island beaches should have a natural and resident [mole crab/sand flea] population. I honestly cannot see why not, maybe someone else has already done a sand flea survey and will post up, but I really haven't seen anything about this question.

BlackBeard

Boats: I'm the boat you wake rolled last weekend

Live Sand Flea VS Berkley Gulp! New Penny Mole Crab/Flea

Postby BlackBeard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Cage Match: Live Sand Flea VS Berkley Gulp! New Penny Mole Crab/Flea, And the Winner Is?

Fatback

Master Angler
Boats: 17' deep v Tracker

Re: Sand Fleas | Mole Crabs | Sand Crabs | Gulp! Bait

Postby Fatback » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 am

Yes, there are Sand Fleas on Little Tybee Island. But their population is small and are difficult to locate. Finding a area with softer sand is key. Outgoing tide is best.

Take bait, you will have to be pretty lucky to find enough live ones to use.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

BlackBeard

Boats: I'm the boat you wake rolled last weekend

Live Sand Flea VS Gulp! Sand Crab/Flea

Postby BlackBeard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 am

I would agree that you should always take some backup bait. Fish Bites and Gulp! are among the best baits to have in the bag. I never leave home without them. So, the cage match is a tie.

Live Sand Flea VS Gulp Sand Crab/Flea

Return to “Bait”